Tuesday, April 14, 2009

GLA Fundraiser

The volunteers at GLA are putting on a pretty cool fundraiser. They are asking that adoptive parents donate $150.00USD and in return, they get 10 minutes of web-cam time with their child once a month for three months, starting at the end of April. So, of course we signed up so we can see little Trey Amos and talk to him face to face! And we just went out and bought a web-cam. So I will keep you posted once that happens.

I just learned that I can't send Trey's package directly to the orphanage because the customs fees they slap on the packages are so high that the orphanage can't afford them. GLA has a Florida address where all packages are supposed to go, but then they wait there until there is a small container's worth, and THEN they are shipped. I don't even know if they are shipped by air or sea. So anyways, that can take several months. However, a friend of a friend is actually going to GLA to volunteer in July, so hopefully we can send the package with her. That way at least we know it WILL get to him! (and maybe we can squeeze a few more items in!)

We should get our first monthly update at the end of this month. Unfortunately the lady who does the updates is extremely ill and other people are having to fill in for her. I'm not sure if she had to go back the U.S. for treatment, but she is very sick. The GLA website says the updates will be very short and sweet for April and May because she will not be able to help with the updates at all.

Toni also emailed us and is hoping to get back to GLA to visit Trey one more time before they leave Haiti in June.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool!! I would like to be a fly on the wall when that happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome. You will have to record the call somehow.

    ReplyDelete